Resolving Adobe Reader Error 1328–“Updated by Other Means”

<Just putting this on the internet, in case it helps some poor soul. There are a lot of forum posts with the issue, none with the solution.>

I was recently trying to install Adobe Reader, and had an unfortunate blue screen right near the end. When trying to install again, I got this error:

Error 1328. Error applying patch to file C:\Config.Msi\PTxx.tmp. It has probably been updated by other means and can no longer be modified by this patch.  For more information contact your patch vendor.

Apparently, Adobe Reader 11.1 is distributed internally as two MSIs: "Adobe Reader 11”, plus a patch to bring 11.0 to 11.1.

After turning on MSI logging, I could see that the temporary installer files were going to C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup\{GUID}.

The solution, in my case, was to go to that location, run AcroRead.msi manually, run AdbeRdrUpd11001.msp manually (which failed), and then go to the control panel to uninstall Adobe Reader.

After that, running the official setup program (from http://get.adobe.com/reader/) worked.

Additional things I did along the way that may have helped, but I don’t think were required:

• Manually deleted files left behind in ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0’. To do this, I had to take ownership of the files, and manually give myself permission to delete them.
  • Manually deleted a bunch of .tmp files from ‘C:\Config.msi\…’ that were time stamped from around the time I was doing this installation.
  • Manually deleted a few MSIs from ‘C:\Windows\Installer"’ that were time stamped from around the time I was doing this installation.

14 Responses to “Resolving Adobe Reader Error 1328–“Updated by Other Means””

1. Seb writes:

I was just starting to loose hope with this exact problem and about to give up and just go for a windows re-install when I came across your post. I tried running Adobe’s own cleaner software to try and totally remove any trace of it because every time I try and download it the download starts from 33% and gives me the 1328 error when it finishes trying to install. This has not worked.

When you say run AcroRead.msi do you mean in CMD? I am computer literate but more of a hardware person.

Thanks (and many more thanks if you can clarify on this point!)

2. Lee Holmes writes:

Hey Seb;

I mean I just double-clicked it in the Explorer window for C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup\{Guid}.

Lee

3. Black Manatee writes:

THANK YOU! Been having problems with Acrobat Reader for months, basically ignoring the update glitches even while the problems and vulnerabilities continued to mount with each (uninstalled) update. Came across your fix, and went ahead and ran the install programs from the location you described (minus the GUID portion of the address), and enabled “repair” mode or whatever it’s called, and it works fine now. Reader is loading automatically like it’s supposed to; no more launch glitches, and updates are fine now. Thanks again!

4. ds writes:

Life saver!!!! I was about to break things.

5. Jim writes:

A big thank ! You are really a savior, adobe documentation is helpless with this problem, but, thank to you, it is solved for me now. Again thank you :D

6. Kyle writes:

Phew! Thanks. I managed to lose power while installing reader the first time, and this bug cost me a good hour of my life, before I found your solution.

7. niju writes:

thank you,,,it resolved the issue, great post

8. Nick writes:

Thanks mate, all I had to do was run AcroRead.msi and update the installation, it works now!

9. Ed writes:

Thanks Lee. I was relieved to finally find a quick and easy solution that actually works! Running AcroRead was all I needed to do.

10. Paul O'Neill writes:

Having exactly the same issues with a clean-built Win 7 x64 machine today and your steps nailed it – fixed the problem right up, thanks for taking the time to post the solution!

Paul

11. rj writes:

Wow. Thanks!

12. Pete writes:

Just like the rest said. Adobe help was useless and this was spot on. 5 minute fix didn’t even need a reboot. Cheers.

13. Hugo writes:

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! In my case all I did to fix it was to delete the Adobe folder in ProgramData and then installing Reader again just worked!

Thanks!

14. JC writes:

I am having the same problem with Acrobat XI Pro.
    I would like to try your fix, but I don’t know what you mean by
    “…go to that location, run AcroRead.msi manually, run AdbeRdrUpd11001.msp manually (which failed)”
    How do you “run” a .msi file manually, etc.?
    Thanks