Fixing Touch Screen Delays / Lost Input on a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga

I got a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga this weekend (loving it!) but noticed an annoying quirk – the different Windows 8 edge swipe actions seemed to require two swipes. A few reviews have run into this as well, such as this one from ZDNet.

Once you got it reacting to your swipes, though, everything was instantaneous. After experimentation, it turns out that not touching the screen for about 4 seconds was enough to put it into this double-swipe mode – which is evidence of some sort of sleep mode.

It turns out that this doesn’t just cause edge swipes to go missing – it causes a general feel of sluggishness and lack of reaction. You click a button, and it doesn’t register. You click again, and it finally does.

After a bunch of digging and unrelated searches, it turns out that it is indeed a sleep mode issue – the driver for the touch screen has the option enabled to let Windows put it to sleep.

The solution is simple:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Go to “Human Interface Devices”
  3. Go to the last USB Input Device (my Yoga has two), then “Properties”
  4. Open “Power Management”
  5. Unselect “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, then select the box again and try it on the other USB Input Device(s).

11 Responses to “Fixing Touch Screen Delays / Lost Input on a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga”

1. noisyboy writes:

Hi,

Now that you have the Yoga for a while, I wanted to have your feedback on the main Pros and Cons you have noticed during the usage. Would be even more great if you do a short one with the details – would greatly benefit people who are considering it.

Thanks!

2. Sam writes:

Thinking of getting the Yoga – how has your experience been so far?

3. Lee Holmes writes:

@noisyboy @sam – Blogged in detail 🙂 https://www.leeholmes.com/blog/2012/11/15/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-review-three-weeks-in/

4. Jeannie writes:

Have you been able to figure out what drivers need to be updated for the pen tool to work correctly in Photoshop? Adobe is saying it’s a driver issue and Lenovo is saying it’s a software issue. And as that is my primary reason (using photoshop on my touchscreen) for picking up the Yoga, any help would be appreciated.

5. Rob writes:

This fix seems to be working. Thanks for the tip. Now if I could figure out how to get the touch feature to stop turning off..

6. Die Schote writes:

Thanks for this very useful hint — now all my edge gestures work as they should! 🙂 Actually, I think manufacturers should release automatic hotfixes for such things.

Did you experience any negative influence on battery life?

7. Lee Holmes writes:

@Jeannie – Sorry, no idea!

@Die Schote – I haven’t done a good comparison, but I’ve been happy with the battery life. It seems to be around 5-6 hours.

8. jared writes:

I have had the Lenovo yoga for 4 months. I wish I had NOT purchased it. The quality and durability are not on par with the price. My battery life has already diminished by about 1/3. The touch screen function comes and goes. The screen auto orientation feature is sluggish and depends on the angle at which the screen is relative to the keyboard rather than by gyros located in the screen. The keyboard isn’t always disabled when folded into the tablet mode causing unintended input. The physical quality of the piece is not up to my standards, its chinky, feels delicate, bends, etc.

9. Lee Holmes writes:

@Jared – Interesting, I haven’t had that experience. I’ve been using it heavily since I purchased it and it’s been great.

10. Corey M writes:

Thank you so much for posting this! It fixed my issue on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon as well. I couldn’t get the touch input to respond after waking the PC from sleep mode. But a simple adjustment to the power options as you said and voila!

11. Manu writes:

Thx for this useful hint:)